Causes of Back Pain and Back Pain Treatment Options
Back pain is a universal health complaint. Almost everyone has experienced back pain at some point. Almost 85 percent of Americans experience back pain in their lifetime. Of those, about 50 percent of people have more than one episode of back pain within one year. In most cases, back pain disappears on its own, while in other cases it is necessary to see a doctor.
Causes of Back Pain
Here is a list of the most common health issues that may lead to back pain:
- Strains. These are among the most common reasons for back pain. In most cases, strains occur as a result of sudden awkward movements or lifting something extremely heavy.
- Structural issues. Disk injuries are also among the most common causes of back pain. Spinal disks can herniate, rupture, and bulge, which leads to nerve compression and back pain.
- Arthritis. Can be caused by deterioration and damage in the cartilage of joints in the back. Over time, arthritis can cause a narrowing of the spinal column, which leads to chronic pain in the back.
- Osteoporosis. Characterized by the thinning of the bones and loss of bone density. Osteoporosis often results in small fractures in the vertebrae. These fractures can be very painful causing chronic back pain that is not going away.
- Other reasons. There are some other causes of back pain that are considered quite rare. They include fungal or bacterial spine infection, spine cancer, kidney stones or kidney infection, and some others.
How Can a Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractors use special spinal adjustments that help alleviate back pain, accelerate recovery, and prevent future recurrences of back pain. In addition, chiropractic care is also able to improve joint function and relieve muscle spasms.
Your Journey to Whole-body Wellness Starts Here
If you have been suffering from back pain for a while, it is time to see a specialist. Dr. Dewald has been working with patients from Palmdale, CA, and the surrounding areas for over two decades by helping them to find relief from different types of pain, including back pain. He and our other team members of Dewald Chiropractic will do their best to help you reach your wellness goal. Do not hesitate to give us a call and schedule an appointment with a chiropractor.